IEL, Food Engineering, Cold Chain Management Group - PD Dr. Judith Kreyenschmidt
Photographer: Gaetan BallyResearch topic
The interdisciplinary working group Cold Chain Management of the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-University of Bonn was established to facilitate networking and interactions between and among academic scholars, industry experts and aspiring amateurs in the cold chain management.
The primary research-focus of the group is the development and implementation of innovative methods and models for the improvement of food safety and quality as well as the reduction of food waste in perishable food supply chains.
This focus is composed of the following specific research-topics:
- The characterization of spoilage processes of various foods as function of product-, process- and environmental parameters
- The development of predictive models to describe the quality loss and safety aspects as function of different parameter, development of heat transfer models
- The development and investigation of innovative technologies and sensors to control product and process-specific factors over the entire food chain and evaluation of the sustainability of these technologies.
- Active and intelligent packaging solutions
- Antimicrobial materials
- Temperature monitoring devices
The working group Cold Chain Management has varied laboratory equipment at its disposal. This includes a microbiological laboratory for research of spoilage and pathogenic bacteria, a chemicaland technical laboratory with a range of different equipment (Packaging machines, SAW Technology, Spectrophotometer, aw- and pH-measurements, gas analyser, chambers to test temperature monitoring devices ...).
Photographer: Gaetan Bally